Invisalign – the favourite solution for a straighter smile
Invisalign treatment consists of a series of clear plastic aligners that apply gentle force to teeth to gradually move them into a desired position.
Adults often avoid having their teeth straightened due to the appearance of traditional braces, however Invisalign solves this problem by being virtually invisible- you can smile without being self conscious
Invisalign are also removable, unlike braces which are fixed. This means you can enjoy your favourite foods any time you want! Although Invisalign is required to be worn 22 hours per day, it is possible to remove them for special occasions if needed.
Invisalign can help for the following conditions:
- Overbite – where your upper front teeth overlap with your lower front teeth
- Underbite – is when you close your mouth and your lower front teeth are in front of your upper teeth.
- Crossbite – when you close your mouth and some of your upper teeth are sitting inside your lower teeth (rather than on the outside).
- Gap Teeth – when you have extra space between two or more of your teeth.
- Open Bite – is where your upper and lower teeth don’t touch when your mouth is closed.
- Crowded Teeth – where you don’t have enough room in your jaw for your teeth to fit normally and your teeth can bunch together, overlap and twist.
- Straighter Teeth – You like your smile but you really want to love it. Maybe you have a special event coming up? Small fixes can make a big difference.
How Invisalign Works
The aligners are made from thermoplastic material uniquely developed from your treatment plan, created on an individual basis. You are given a series of bespoke, custom made aligners to move your teeth in the sequence determined by your doctor. Each aligner in this series works individually, making slight adjustments to tooth position. When the aligners are placed on the teeth, they cause the teeth to gradually shift from their current position. After approximately two weeks, you will begin using the next set of aligners, which will continue the teeth straightening process.’
The Invisalign Process
After an initial consultation at our clinic, we take a 3D digital scan of your teeth, which we can use to simulate an estimated outcome for your teeth. This 3D digital scan is then used to fabricate a set of custom aligners. Each aligner is worn for 1-2 weeks before progressing to the next aligner. You will be required to visit the clinic every 6-8 weeks.
Treatment time varies for each patient, but usually takes between 6-18 months depending on severity and complexity.
Obviously it depends on the starting state of your teeth, however they can take anywhere between a few months to two years.
As Invisalign are moving your teeth, some pressure is felt when you first change the aligner. This usually subsides within 24-48 hours.
Although the name suggests they are completely invisible, there are not completely invisible. They are very subtle so other people may not notice you are wearing them.
The aligners are most effective when worn 20-22 hours per day and removed only for eating, brushing and flossing. If they are not worn the teeth will not move.